Monday, 20 January 2014

What to look out for Before Applying for a liquor license in Gauteng province

Before you apply for a Liquor License

To make sure that the Zoning of the proposed premises does not prohibit the application of a Liquor License. You can apply for a Zoning Certificate at your local Municipality.

Under the Gauteng Liquor Act, the applicant of a Liquor License in Gauteng for a Liquor Store, Pub, Tavern, pool club, and Night club must obtain, in writing, a local authority approval to apply for such a liquor license.

This is in addition to any Zoning laws. It is advisable not to apply for a liquor license if this is not in place



Zoning of a property is the regulation put in place to preserve the character of the area and in turn regulate health, safety, welfare, morals, and limit nuisance disturbance to land users. Zoning must promote land use to the best interest of the occupants. It acts as a stabilizing factor in neighborhoods and preserves the character of the community.

The essential purpose of Zoning is to segregate Residential, Agricultural, Commercial (business), and Industrial areas from one another.
Regulations have been put into place to protect residential areas from encroachment by petrol stations, businesses causing a nuisance, factories, liquor outlets, and other disturbances.

Factors taken into consideration are traffic, character of neighborhoods, the fitness of the land involved and influence on property values.
The Zoning of a property regulate, among other things the Nuisance emanating from the use of a property. That is “An unreasonable, unwarranted or illegal use of property that infringes the rights of other people.” Therefore the quiet enjoyment of a person’s property is invaded by a person, causing the nuisance without that individual actually physically invading your property. A nuisance can affect one’s health, morals, safety, welfare, comfort or convenience.

It is therefore important to ensure that the proposed property is correctly zoned for the Application of a Liquor License. If you apply for a liquor license on i.e. a residential zoned property your application may be refused, resulting in a financial loss. The Municipality also has the right to close down your business if you trade on a premises Zoned for residential

Business Rights

The Land Use Rights of a property plays an important role in your Liquor License Application. A Municipality begins with the planning process of land. This result is the Zoning of property, which allows certain uses and prohibits certain uses of such land. This process regulates the subdivision of land, street plans, plans for public facilities and building regulations. This planning process plans for the construction of schools, roads, sewage, water and electricity supply, policing, fire protection, businesses and other.

We advise all our client to make sure that their premises are 
correctly zoned before we receive any money or start working 
on the application

The applicant must take great care in choosing a Liquor License Consultant. Unfortunately there are many unethical and incompetent Liquor License Consultants.

Please note. 
Section 23 (3) of the Gauteng Liquor Act 2 of 2003
Where an application for a license has been refused by the Board, NO new application may be made in respect of the same premises within 1 (one) year from the date of refusal, except by special leave granted at the discretion of the Board.   It is therefore critical to choose your Liquor License Consultant with care

Frik Liebenberg

Frik Liebenberg Business Advisory Services cc 99/05522/23

082 556 8368
Follow us on Twitter @licensingliquor

No comments:

Post a Comment