Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Important information regarding Distribution License (Wholesale)

So what is a distribution license you ask?

Basically it boils down to selling liquor to licensed entities or person. You are not allowed to sell liquor to the public like a liquor store.
Most people call this license a "wholesale" license. But the wholesale license has fallen out of the Provincial act and is now regulated under the National liquor act.

Sale of Liquor.
Your registration enables you to sell to LICENSED businesses who will resell the product.
You may not sell to the public for own consumption or to any unlicensed person or entity.

Trading Hours:
Monday to Saturday between 09h00 and 18h00.
No trading on Sundays and public holidays.
These hours are subject to conditions imposed by the National Liquor Authority, and if the Municipality has not determined the trading days and trading hours.
Manufacturing, loading and traveling may be conducted outside these hours. But off loading of liquor to your client may not take place outside these hours.
A manufacturer or Distributor may deliver and off load to their own warehouse (no transaction takes place) after these hours.

Delivery of Liquor.
To deliver liquor the following is important:
  • Only liquor that has been ordered must be in the vehicle.
  • The original invoice to be kept on the registered premise and copy in the delivery vehicle stating;
1.    Customer
2.    Liquor registration number of both client and manufacturer/distributor.
3.    Invoice number.
4.    Date of issue of invoice.
5.    Kind and quantity of liquor.
6.    Price paid for by the client
7.    Delivery address.
  • Do not deliver to any address not mentioned on the invoice.

Keeping Record
Keep record of all liquor sold in written or electronic form and it must contain the following:
  • Customer identification.
  • Certified copy of your Customer’s National Liquor Authority Registration certificate.
  • Invoice numbers and dates of issue.
  • Kind and quantity of liquor sold.
  • Purchase price paid.

Until October 2014 the threshold for BEE exemption is R5m turnover per year. After October 2014 the threshold will be R10m turnover per year. If your turnover exceeds R10m after October 2014 you cab contact our office,

You must file an annual information return in FORM NLA 28 at least 30 days before the anniversary of your registration certificate. (This is your application for renewal of your registration.)
A registrant who is the holder of an import certificate in terms of section 16 of the Liquor Products act 1989 (act No. 60 of 1989) must file an annual information return in FORM NLA 29 on or before 31 March each year.
Contact your Liquor License Consultant if you require assistance. It is the registrant’s duty to remember this important event and we as Liquor License Consultants do not accept responsibility to remind the registrant.

SAPD officials.
The SAPS has appointed dedicated officials who will enforce the law. Each official will have an appointment certificate and proof identity. Should you be non compliant they will issue a notice of non compliance. Should you not rectify the non compliance a criminal docket will be opened and the process of deregistration will begin.

Should you require further information, kindly contact 


082 556 8368

Follow us on TWITTER
Like us on Facebook

We also sell businesses in the Vaal Triangle

for a full list of businesses for sale in Vaal Triangle.

No comments:

Post a Comment